XXIII GUANAJUATO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
CALL FOR FILM SUBMISSIONS
- OBJECTIVE. The primary objective of the GuanajuatoInternational Film Festivalis to provide more opportunities for the exhibition and appreciation of films, rewarding their quality so as to allow the artists to continue producing. At the same time, we intend to bring together newcomers alongside the industry’s most seasoned professionals, to join forces in a very open, accessible and competitive environment.
- EVENT DATES. The XXIII edition of the Guanajuato International Film Festivalwill be celebrated from 17 – 26 of July, 2020, in the cities of San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato, Mexico.
- CATEGORIES OF COMPETITION. The following categories of competition have been established:
- Shorts (up to 30 minutes including credits) filmed in any film, video or digital format completed after January 1st, 2019 are eligible to compete in the following categories: FICTION, DOCUMENTARY, EXPERIMENTAL, ANIMATION, VIRTUAL REALITY, MEXICO and GUANAJUATO (for local productions).
- Features (over 30 minutes), filmed in any film, video or digital format, completed after January 1st, 2019, and that have not yet acquired distribution in commercial theaters within Mexico are eligible to compete in the following categories: INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM FICTION, MEXICAN FEATURE FILM FICTION, INTERNATIONAL FEATURE DOCUMENTARY, MEXICAN FEATURE DOCUMENTARY.
- EXHIBITION.The Festival shall determine the order and date of exhibition of each work. Submissions may also be invited to participate in out-of-competition programs.
- Films must be submitted through the official registration form available on FilmFreeway.com. Secure online screeners should be submitted with the application.
- Registration cost is 25 USD per film for international productions, payable through FilmFreeway. Registration is free of cost for Mexican filmmakers.
- There is no limit to the amount of films that a filmmaker or producer may register.
- Music videos, commercial work, and political propaganda are not accepted. In the VR category, gaming, augmented reality and non-narrative experiences are not accepted.
- In order to be considered, the materials must be presented in Spanish, English, or with subtitles in either of these two languages.
- Virtual Reality projects must be viewable via Samsung Gear VR, Oculus Rift or HTC. A link to a downloadable 360° video file (.mp4) should be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Additionally, a 2D version or documentation of the project should be submitted through FilmFreeway.
- When submitting your film, it is mandatory to include an Electronic Press Kit (EPK) either through FilmFreeway or emailed to email@example.com including: at least one still photo from the film (in jpg or tif format at 300 dpi); a synopsis of the film in Spanish, English, or both if available; a brief biography of the director in Spanish, English, or both if available); director’s photograph (in jpg or tif format at 300 dpi); film credits.
- The deadline for registration and delivery of materials is April 1, 2020.
- Once a film has been submitted for participation it cannot be withdrawn.
- The festival does not pay screening fees.
- Selected films may form part of the festival’s travelling showcases, participating around the world.
- SELECTION AND JURIES.The selection will be carried out by the festival organization’s programming team, including its pre-screening juries. The selection decisions are final and cannot be appealed.
- AWARDS.Prizes and recognitions will be awarded to films in each competitive category. Each distinction will be decided by an international jury, made up of film industry professionals whose names shall be announced shortly before the festival. The jury’s decision is final and cannot be appealed. Prizes may include trophies, cash awards, or materials and services granted by festivals sponsors, such as post-production services, equipment, etc.
- ACADEMY AWARDS QUALIFICATION.Recipients of the festival’s awards for Best Short Fiction, Best Short Documentary and Best Short Animation will qualify for consideration in the Short Film categories of the annual Academy Awards® (Oscars) of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences – for further information please visit www.oscars.org.
- CONTACT INFORMATION: GUANAJUATO INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL
Fabrica La Aurora, Local 5-B, Col. Aurora
San Miguel de Allende, Gto., C.P. 37700, Mexico
firstname.lastname@example.org. +52 (415) 152.72.64 ext. 20